To start your membership at the credit union, a minimum deposit of $5.00 must be made into your Share Savings Account. No monthly access fees are associated with the Account, and you earn dividends on balances over $200.00. A Star ATM card is available with the Account.
A Certificate of Deposit (CD) is a popular and easy high yield savings method you can take advantage of to save some money for the future and earn interest along the way. We’ve made it easy for you to reach your savings goals, so all you have to do is decide how much and for how long, and we’ll do the rest!
Here's How It Works
- Deposit a minimum of $500 with a guaranteed Annual Percentage Yield*.
- Collect dividends that are compounded and credited monthly.
- At the end of your Certificate's term, withdraw your money plus your dividends or roll over your earnings into a new certificate.
How Much Will I Earn?
Use our investment calculator to see how much your deposit would grow over our available terms.
Individual Retirement Accounts
Retirement is in your future. Let us help you get there.
Benefits of IRAs
Our Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) allow you to choose from a wide variety of Traditional and Roth IRA investments, including IRA Savings and IRA certificates with benefits like:
- No set-up fee
- Low minimum Deposit to start saving for retirement
- Convenient payroll deduction or automatic transfer from an account for recurring deposits
- Transfer funds into your IRA online to make a current-year contribution
- Customized automatic withdrawals for Required Minimum Distributions
- Federally insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) and Excess Share Insurance.
We offer two different types of IRAs, Traditional and Roth, with different tax benefits.
|Account Type||Traditional IRA||Roth IRA|
|What is it?||A Traditional IRA allows you to make investments that will grow tax-deferred until you remove money from your account. Your contributions to a Traditional IRA may be tax-deductible depending on your participation in a workplace retirement plan and certain income limitations. Catch-up contributions for qualified individuals.||A Roth IRA allows you to invest money by making nondeductible after-tax contributions that grow tax-free. The key difference between a Roth IRA and a Traditional IRA is that, in a Roth IRA, money is not taxed when withdrawn for qualified distributions. Income limits apply. Consult a tax professional to determine if converting assets from a Traditional IRA will be beneficial for your long-term retirement savings plan.|
|Who is it good for?||Individuals who qualify for a current tax deduction or who anticipate being in a lower tax bracket during retirement.||Individuals who do not require or qualify for an immediate tax deduction.|
|How do earnings accumulate?||Earnings accumulate on a tax-deferred basis.||All earnings accumulate tax-free.|
|Rates||View Traditional IRA rates||View Roth IRA rates|
Your tax adviser can offer more guidance on which type of IRA may be best for your needs. Of course, we are always here to answer your questions and assist you with opening an IRA. If you have a question, please get in touch with a credit union representative.
Money Market Savings
The more you save, the higher your dividend rate!
Think of them as super-sized savings accounts—or worry-free investment options. You'll earn more than you would with most traditional savings accounts and enjoy immediate access to your funds.
- $1,000 minimum balance*
- A tiered rate structure means that larger balances earn increased dividends.
- Easy access to funds through Online Banking, our Mobile App, and at Edcucation First Credit Union branches
- Track your savings growth through monthly eStatements
- Unlimited deposits
- Federally insured by National Credit Union Administration and Excess Share Insurance.
*The Account will not earn dividends if the balance falls below $1,000.
Health Savings Account
Education First Credit Union offers Health Savings Accounts (HSA), a deposit account that lets you save tax-free for medical expenses. To be eligible for an HSA, you must participate in a high-deductible health plan.
- No Monthly Maintenance Fee
- Set-up Fee
- No Minimum Opening Deposit
The Account pays interest at a tiered rate based on the account balance.
Holiday Club Savings Account
The holidays can often be very hectic and stressful. Planning and being prepared for the extra expenses that come with the holidays can be extremely beneficial. Education First Credit Union offers a unique holiday savings account for our members. This Account allows members to save money during the year and have it made available to them on October 15. Deposits can be made into this interest-bearing Account through Direct Deposit, Over-the-Counter, or Mail. Enrollment for the next season is automatic.
Teen Advantage Club
We want to see young people get started right in their financial life. And they can do so with our Teen Advantage Club Account. It is specially designed for members between the ages of 13 and 17. To be a member of the Teen Advantage Club, you must first open a Primary Savings Account with a minimum opening deposit of $5, and then you have to deposit at least $1 into the Teen account. It's that easy!
Benefits of the Account are:
- Dividends are paid on every dollar deposited into the Account
- The dividend rate is the same as our Primary Share Account
- Free Mobile, Online Banking, and 24-hour CU Access
For members between the ages of 16 and 17, we feel you are ready to take on more responsibility. (With a qualifying parent or legal guardian) The Account has some added features for you.
- ATM card for withdrawals only
- Shared Branching access
- Checking Account (with qualified co-signer)
- Visa® Debit Card
- Free Mobile and Online Banking
- No monthly maintenance fee
- Detailed monthly statement
- Annual Scholarship Competition
ABC Advantage Club
Our ABC Savings Account is designed for our young savers. Kids can be an ABC Advantage Club member until their 13th birthday. Here is how it works:
- The child must be a credit union member with a minimum of $5.00 in the Primary Savings Account.
- Dividends are paid on every dollar in the ABC Advantage Account.
- The dividend rate is the same as the Primary Share Account.
- If the amount deposited is an amount that earns them an Apple Buck, it will be mailed at the beginning of the following month. (Please see below)
- Apple Bucks will be given as follows:
- Account Opening.
- Birthday (card will be mailed along with one Apple Buck).
- One per every $10.00 deposit (within a given month) with a maximum of five Apple Bucks per month (maximum 62 per year).
- Apple Bucks will be used to "purchase" gifts
- To open an ABC Advantage Account, documents include a birth certificate and social security card.